Friday, December 25, 2015

Season's Greetings from AroundIndy.com!

Looking Back on a Remarkable Year

By Bob Burchfield, Editor
AroundIndy.com, LLC

2015 was a challenging and yet remarkable year. 16 months ago I had open heart surgery with four bypasses and a mitral valve repair. It took a heart attack to get my attention.

Since then, I've pushed myself pretty hard. I've lost 80 pounds, gotten myself back into halfway decent shape, and I managed to recover enough to personally cover, in person, more than 150 events and venues all over Indiana, including the Indianapolis 500, the Brickyard 400, the US National Drag Racing Championships, the Bands of America Grand Nationals, the Indiana State Fair, Greensburg's Tenderloin Throwdown, the Tipton County Pork Festival, the Heartland Apple Festival in Danville, Fair Oaks Farms up in Newton County in northwest Indiana, the Red Geranium Restaurant in New Harmony in southwestern Indiana, Perfect North Slopes in Lawrenceburg, etc. I even made it to some Indy Fuel hockey and Indy Eleven soccer games in 2015 for the first time.

I shot over 18,000 photos in 2015. I've captured local photographs in 91 of 92 Indiana counties, and God willing, I'll get #92 soon and complete the goal that I set in 2010 to shoot local interest photos in every Indiana county. My most memorable photo in 2015 is this one that I shot from the top of Hinkle Fieldhouse on Jan. 31, 2015, just 100 days or so after I was released by my heart surgeon to return to work:

Hinkle Fieldhouse on the campus of Butler University.
AroundIndy.com staff photo, (c) 2015, all right reserved.
This photograph took an incredible amount of effort and determination to climb all the way to the top of the bleachers to shoot a beautifully remodeled and renovated Hinkle. It took over an hour to get from the car to the top of the fieldhouse and back. And when I finally got back to the car, I had to sit and rest for a long time before I was able to drive away. So I'm sure you can understand why I get annoyed when people use my copyrighted photographs without permission.

Since AroundIndy.com launched in 2003, I've found something that I really love to do: covering and photographing Indianapolis and Indiana events. I studied journalism many years ago in college, but somehow got away from it as life took its unexpected turns. It's been a joy to rekindle my love and passion for this boyhood interest through my Web site. The technological advances of the past decade have enabled me to engage in my favorite pastime.

But after my hospitalization last year, the Web site fell off from 22,000 to about 12,000 event listings before I was able to get out of bed and sit back down at a computer. Today, Dec. 25, 2015, there are almost 36,000 upcoming event listings on our site, nearly triple a year ago. The site is more robust than it has ever been in its 13 years.

I am so grateful to be alive, and I hope you are, too. Whether I live another day or another decade, I'll always remember 2015 as a remarkable year in my life. So I hope you will join me in this pledge to eat right and exercise more in 2016. I hope it doesn't take a $600,000 hospital bill to get your attention. If you are curious about how I dropped 80 pounds, visit https://aroundindy.wordpress.com/2015/08/12/what-will-it-take-to-get-your-attention/.


I want to personally thank all our readers and followers for more than 3.25 million page views in 2015! And I especially want to thank the many organizations and county visitor bureaus across Indiana that recognized AroundIndy.com as a legitimate media outlet and granted me access to their events.

Merry Christmas to all, and best wishes for a safe and enjoyable holiday season!

===================

ALWAYS verify the event listings on our Web site to be certain they will be held as scheduled, especially outdoor events--changes, cancellations, postponements, and other unexpected situations may occur! For more information about today's events, as well as thousands of other upcoming event listings and things to do in Indianapolis and Indiana, visit our main Web site at http://aroundindy.com/.

Today's Events:
http://aroundindy.com/today.php
Tomorrow's Events:
http://aroundindy.com/tomorrow.php
Next 7 Days Events:
http://aroundindy.com/next7days.php

No comments: